Saturday, August 21, 2010

What on Earth



Google Earth and Maps


What a fantastic tool for teachers to use to demonstrate and illustrate to students so many great things about our planet. This program allows its users to move from one corner of the earth to the other and every where in between. For younger students it allows them to grasp the size of the earth its continents, countries, oceans and seas. The proram has the capacity to literally walk you down any street in the world. From there buildings and houses can be viewed in 3D. The list is endless and includes, weather patterns, sea levels, real-time earthquakes, 3D building tours and even the solar system.


Once again I have spent far to long playing around with another creative and very worthwhile tool. I have found it reasonably easy to use although I must say that I have not really scratched the surface when it comes to all that google earth and maps has to offer. With a little more time (perhaps after this assignment) I look forward to exploring the planet through my computer. Amazing!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Matt I agree. This tool allows students to explore the planet in so many ways. These sites can be used across so many subject areas but in particular for SOSE and Maths. Students have the opportunity to engage in real-life topics.

    ReplyDelete